From our neighbors at BOWOOD FARMS:
Chickens, Plants & Rock ‘n’ Roll!,
a free, fun, family-oriented event about ways to garden while also keeping
chickens! -- on Saturday, April 3, at 2 p.m., at Bowood Farms garden center,
4605 Olive Street in the Central West End, 63108.
· Michael Supe Granda of the Ozark Mountain Daredevils. He provides the Rock ‘n’ Roll part of this event, complete with clucking, squawking and singing of his band’s signature Chicken Train -- the second most requested song in the Daredevils' repertoire. Supe is a native of St. Louis, now living in Nashville. As bassist for the band, he found early inspiration in such rock legends as Jimi Hendrix and Eric Clapton and, later, in country music. Besides performing Chicken Train at Bowood, he also will be signing copies of his new book, It Shined – The Saga of the Ozark Mountain Daredevils, starting around 1 p.m., before the event. (We would tell you why they call him Supe, but it’s in the book and it’s a fun story.)
· Bill Ruppert, chicken keeper with his brood! Bill is the chicken man of Kirkwood, keeper of many different types of chickens in the one-of-a-kind hen house that he built in his backyard. He’ll bring several of his birds along, talk about gardening around them, about how he keeps them and other chicken tales.
· Jeff Fister, publisher of the West End Word. Jeff also is the author of Counting Chickens, Raising 8 Kids (and 4 hens) in the Central West End and will sign his books, at 1 p.m., before the event, while answering any and all of your questions about raising chickens in the city. His band will play along with Supe, as well.
· Ellen Barredo and the staff of Bowood Farms. Besides giving advice on best plants to raise around chickens, the Bowood staff has discovered an amazing Chicken Forage Blend -- packed with Omega-3 in a mix of buckwheat, flax and many other seeds and meant to make your chickens healthier while getting you the best-ever eggs!
· And you! Bring a can of chicken soup -- SOUP, not Supe -- and you get to enter a Bowood Farms raffle (prizes include a gift certificate from the garden center, Jeff Fister's book plus a packet of Bowood’s Omega-3 Chicken Forage Blend!) Cans of soup will be donated to the CWE’s Trinity Episcopal Church Food Pantry.